News > Press Release
Flashpoint Kicks Off 2022 Announcing Record Growth, Key Product Innovations, National Security Business Expansion, and a New Acquisition
Kari Walker, RedIron PR for Flashpoint
Email: [email protected]
NEW YORK, NY – February 2, 2022 — Flashpoint, the trusted leader in threat intelligence and risk prevention, is celebrating record momentum following the close of calendar year 2021. By providing organizations with the threat intelligence and automation they require to rapidly detect, prioritize, and combat cyber, fraud, and physical risks during a tumultuous year, Flashpoint produced stellar results in 2021, continuing its innovative product growth and market expansion while exceeding its revenue, retention, and growth targets.
Flashpoint added 160 new customers in 2021 and closed the year supporting 425 customers. Flashpoint now serves each of the top 10 largest U.S.-based financial institutions; four of the top 10 largest global technology companies; three of the top five largest U.S. health insurance providers; six retailers in the Fortune 100; and major arms of the public sector, including law enforcement, defense, intelligence, and education. Flashpoint saw particularly strong growth in the financial and public sectors, all of which leverage Flashpoint’s threat intelligence platform to counter an increasingly sophisticated threat ecosystem.
In July 2021, Flashpoint closed a majority investment from Audax Private Equity to drive product growth, new market expansion, and deeper customer engagement. This investment was designed to spark even faster organic and inorganic growth. Arising out of this commitment to buy-side M&A, Flashpoint announced the acquisition of vulnerability intelligence leader Risk Based Security (RBS) in January 2022 to provide clients with critical insights into software vulnerabilities and risk within their own organizations as well as their vendors. With the RBS acquisition, Flashpoint broadens its ability to deliver actionable intelligence to more teams, including vulnerability management, DevSecOps, and vendor risk management. By combining RBS’s vulnerability and breach data with Flashpoint’s threat intelligence datasets and no-code automation capabilities, Flashpoint is able to deliver a holistic threat intelligence solution that empowers every security team across an organization to mitigate risk together.
Flashpoint’s achievements in 2021 include:
- New products and capabilities to address more fraud, cyber, and physical security use cases. Flashpoint was named a Strong Performer in the Forrester Wave™ for External Threat Intelligence—and Flashpoint’s Compromised Credentials Monitoring (CCM) solution was called “one of the premier capabilities for quickly reducing the risk of stolen credential reusage.” Flashpoint also added Payment and Credit Card Fraud Mitigation to its product suite, helping organizations identify card exposures and prevent fraud at scale.
- Flashpoint released a Brand Exposure Protection offering which monitors for brand impersonation and helps to stop typosquatting. The solution also enables clients to Request Takedowns directly within the Flashpoint Intelligence Platform to further protect their organization. Additionally, Flashpoint now offers Managed Intelligence to provide specialized, proven services that enable security teams to exponentially scale their operations to combat and mitigate threats. In order to help protect users who were the victim of a ransomware or cyber extortion attack, Flashpoint released its Extortion Monitoring Service (EMS), which provides immediate notification of identified leaked assets and the extent of exposure and damage due to an extortion incident, ultimately saving internal teams time and resources. Finally Flashpoint released the beta version of Flow, a tool to automate risk remediation workflows and introduced Optical Character Recognition (OCR) feature within the Flashpoint Intelligence Platform, which helps users identify risks by extracting text, logos, and other identifiable objects from images posted in illicit communities.
“Buoyed by a majority growth investment from Audax Private Equity, and our recent acquisition of vulnerability intelligence leader Risk Based Security, we’re primed to continue to deliver tremendous value to our customers in the years to come.”– josh lefkowitz, flashpoint ceo
- Increasing data collections 100% YoY. Flashpoint’s data collections utilizes a mix of technologies including, but not limited to, AI/ML, NLP, as well as ML models that are internally trained to bubble up relevant information unique to each customer. Flashpoint’s data collections now include more than 473M illicit forum posts, 1.8B chat services messages, 170M+ media assets, 62K threat actor mentions of CVEs, and 200 of the most prevalent malware families and associated IOCs. As a result, Flashpoint analysts and data collection technologies helped clients identify more than 38B compromised credentials, including 8.1B unique email/password credentials and 1.6M stolen credit cards. It is from this massive pool of data that Flashpoint extracts intelligence.
- Key leadership appointments. Flashpoint continued to invest in top-tier talent to scale its marketing team and hone its go-to-market strategy. This includes the hiring of Michelle Dufty as Chief Marketing Officer.
- Entering new vertical markets. Flashpoint National Security Solutions (FNSS) was launched in 2021 to provide comprehensive threat coverage, including counterterrorism, counter narcotics, and intelligence operations to support public sector agencies. This newly formed subsidiary is committed to delivering innovative solutions to government partners focused on intelligence, defense, and law enforcement, helping these organizations solve some of the most pressing challenges.
- Adding new strategic technology partners with prebuilt integrations. In January 2021, Flashpoint and Chainalysis announced a partnership to enable customers to investigate threat actor activity and attacks via suspicious cryptocurrency transactions. In October, Flashpoint announced a strategic cyber- and physical-security partnership with Ontic to paint an even fuller picture of the physical and cyber threat landscape. This integration enables the automatic flow of Flashpoint Alerting concerning cyber and dark web-related data to physical security teams, thereby improving visibility and the efficiency of security personnel to act on critical intelligence.
- Also in October, Flashpoint announced an extension of its partnership with Silobreaker, which integrates Flashpoint’s Compromised Credential Monitoring—Enterprise (CCM-E) solution onto its platform. Silobreaker customers can now monitor the exposure of compromised credentials of their enterprise domains, so they can take action after breaches and mitigate the risk of account takeover (ATO). In November 2021, Flashpoint announced a strategic partnership with Carahsoft, which will serve as a strategic distribution partner for Flashpoint solutions in the government market, making Flashpoint’s advanced threat intelligence solutions available to the public sector through Carahsoft’s Information Technology Enterprise Solutions. Also in November, Flashpoint announced the extension of its partnership with Cyware, enabling customers to leverage Flashpoint’s intelligence data with Cyware’s Security Orchestration Layer (CSOL), providing the advanced workflow automation necessary to help security analysts build more efficiency into threat response.
- Supporting its employees and giving back to the community. For the second year in a row, Flashpoint earned Great Place to Work Certification™ and was ranked as one of the Best Places to Work in New York by Fortune. Furthermore, Flashpoint donated to Oceana, a non-profit ocean conservation organization focused on influencing policy decisions on the national level, and to St. Jude’s Children Research Hospital.
Flashpoint’s team now includes over 285 security and intelligence professionals worldwide, and continues to grow rapidly. Currently, Flashpoint is seeking to fill more than 50 open positions, including software and site reliability engineers, threat intelligence analysts, sales directors, solutions architects, as well as finance and product professionals across the United States, EMEA, and APAC. For more information, visit our careers page at https://www.flashpoint-intel.com/careers/.
“As the demand for threat intelligence grows, we’re experiencing consistent overall growth and renewal rates while driving new customer acquisition in key verticals. At the same time, we’re expanding and solidifying relationships with our current clients,” says Flashpoint CEO Josh Lefkowitz. “Buoyed by a majority growth investment from Audax Private Equity, and our recent acquisition of vulnerability intelligence leader Risk Based Security, we’re primed to continue to deliver tremendous value to our customers in the years to come.”
Trusted by governments, global commercial companies, and educational institutions, Flashpoint helps organizations protect their most critical assets, infrastructure, and stakeholders from security risks such as cyber threats, ransomware, fraud, physical threats, and more. Leading security practitioners—including cyber threat intelligence (CTI), vulnerability management, DevSecOps and vendor risk management teams—rely on the Flashpoint Intelligence Platform to proactively identify and mitigate risk and stay ahead of the evolving threat landscape. To learn more about Flashpoint, visit https://www.flashpoint.io or follow us on Twitter at @FlashpointIntel.
Subscribe to our weekly threat intelligence newsletter
Interested to see top news from Flashpoint hit your inbox directly? Subscribe to our newsletter to receive curated content on a bi-weekly basis.